Thursday, September 15, 2005

Ah, Subway...

Summary: Good food, lots of sandwich options, feels like a fast-food restaurant. Coz it is a fast-food restaurant. No toilets.

Full review:

I do like Subway sandwiches :)

Subway is a US franchise of submarine sandwich outlets. They have six varieties of bread, a vast array of meat and vegetarian toppings and the brilliant thing about them is that they operate as a customised production line, making your sandwich exactly as you want it. So if you're picky about your food like me, you don't need to worry about your turkey being tainted by olives.

Great things about Subway:
  1. Bread and soft cookies are baked fresh every day. So soft and tasty :)
  2. Sandwiches are fully customisable.
  3. Meat fillings are low-fat and fresh, not like certain unnamed bagel stores who will give you shrivelled dried fillings that have been sitting in their display fridge for days.
  4. "Sandwich Artists" will change their gloves when you ask them, so vegetarians don't need to eat nasty meat-tainted product.
  5. Chipotle Southwest Sauce!
Dodgy things about Subway:
  1. I think their seats are made of lead. They weigh a bloody ton, anyway. Some branches are only take-away.
  2. You can get stacks of grated cheese from the salad section for free, but they charge you 20p for an extra square of plastic Kraft Singles. And since the salad cheese is post-microwave, I pay the extra 20p.
  3. At peak times there is a large queue. They never keep you waiting very long but you can feel rushed while ordering.
  4. It's pretty faceless - definitely feels like a little sandwich factory.

My local branch is on Farringdon Road, but every Subway I've been to is like this. They do a very good job of franchise control, so you get the same product everywhere you go.

Subway. Good sandwiches!



Edit 10th Oct 05: Keep an eye out on the final cost - they're in such rush to get you through the queue that every time I've been there in the past 3 weeks I've been charged varying amounts that bear little resemblance to the actual meal. I was definitely overcharged today but I let it go coz I think I was undercharged last week.

Tagged: | | |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home